Question: My dentist wants to charge $7500 for six porcelain dental veneers. Is this too much? How much should they cost?
Answer: The cost of porcelain veneers varies greatly across the country. While $1500 apiece may be a typical fee if you take an average, you’re going to find a great difference say, from Iowa, which is a very low fee state, where you may see porcelain veneers cost under $1000 apiece, to places like Chicago and Los Angeles, which are high fee areas, where $2000 apiece may not be uncommon.
Generally, expert cosmetic dentists in 2006 charge somewhere over $1000 apiece for porcelain veneers, on up to over $2000. We have seen dentistry information sites quoting fees as low as $500 for dental veneers, but we caution patients against looking for bargains here. Visit our cosmetic dentistry costs page for more specific fee survey information about the costs of this and other procedures.
Let me take this opportunity to caution you some about porcelain veneers. Since cosmetic dentistry isn’t a legally recognized specialty, any dentist, with no more training than is given in dental school, can call himself or herself a cosmetic dentist. This procedure, to be done right, however, requires artistic sensitivity and extensive additional training beyond dental school. Don’t judge a dentist by the cost. There are some poorly done veneers that cost a lot of money, and there are some excellent ones done that cost relatively modest amounts. Generally, porcelain dental veneers from an expert cosmetic dentist will tend to cost more, but that isn’t strictly true.
Look Beyond the Porcelain Veneers Cost
Read about the difference between a true cosmetic dentist and a dentist who merely claims to be a cosmetic dentist.
Click here for referral to an expert cosmetic dentist.
Other questions about this subject:
- Click here to read more about porcelain veneers.
- Can I whiten my porcelain veneers?
- What can you tell me about Lumineers?
- How much do Lumineers cost?
- I’m getting stains on the edges of my porcelain veneers. What should I do?
- Learn about the porcelain veneers procedure.
- See beautiful porcelain veneer photos featuring work by mynewsmile.com network dentists.
- In some cases it is possible to get help from your dental plan to pay for cosmetic dental work. Read here about cosmetic dentistry and dental insurance.
- Many people have heard of DaVinci veneers, because of ABC’s Extreme Makeover show.
To return to the frequent questions page, click here.
We conducted a survey of expert cosmetic dentists in December 2005 to obtain this information about the cost of porcelain veneers.