Dear Dr. Hall:
What’s the best way to get rid of coffee stains on my teeth?
—Vicky in Iowa
It’s important to know that coffee stains on teeth are under the surface. They soak into the tooth. So nothing superficial will remove them. No toothpaste or professional cleaning gets rid of them.
A toothpaste such as Supersmile® whitening toothpaste can help minimize coffee stains while they are accumulating. By removing the surface stains daily, it can keep them from soaking into the tooth. But once the whole tooth is brown or yellow, you need something that penetrates to get them completely white again.
Other related links:
- Read our general page about teeth stains.
- Learn how to treat tetracycline stains. Sometimes this is misspelled tetracyclene.
- Here’s some general information about whitening toothpaste.
- Here’s a discussion about toothpastes and cosmetic dental work. There are some special considerations you may want to be aware of.
- Supersmile® recommended for teeth stained with Peridex anti-bacterial rinse.
- What to do for stained porcelain veneers.
- Read about tobacco stained teeth.
- Click here for referral to an expert cosmetic dentist.
- Read about the loss of enamel on the insides of the front teeth from bulimia.
To return to the frequent questions page, click here.